We have frequently received inquiries about whether we can offer a service to notify our customers and partners whenever HCL releases a new fix pack or update. We are thrilled to announce that with the release of HCL Notes and Domino 12.0.2 FP2 (Fix Pack 2), we are happy to fulfill this request and share this valuable information with the public.
Whilst we seem late to the game of announcing HCL Notes and Domino 12.0.2 FP2, the difference is that we are also sharing important results and expert advice from our very own extensive testing.
If you haven’t subscribed to our newsletter yet and would always want the latest and tested HCL Notes and Domino release news hot off the press, subscribe to our newsletter here.
HCL Notes and Domino 12.0.2 FP2: Everything You Need to Know
HCL has announced the release of Notes and Domino 12.0.2 FP2 on August 1, 2023.
With the following exceptions, this release is highly recommended for all customers, especially those currently running version 12.0.2 or 12.0.2 FP1.
Important Results from Extensive Testing
We strongly advise against installing Notes 12.0.2 FP2 64-bit.
Why? Our comprehensive testing yielded compelling results:
- LotusScript code containing the Replace function with an Array as 2nd and/or 3rd argument, which is compiled with the 64-bit designer client, returns an empty string in all cases. If the code is compiled with a 32-bit designer client, it works in both 32- and 64-bit clients.
- Whilst, according to documentation, NotesSession.UseDoubleAsPointer has been introduced in Notes 12.0.1, our own tests have shown that it is irrelevant prior to 12.0.2 FP2. Beginning with FP2 64-bit, any Declare Function call that returns a Pointer, needs to set NotesSession.UseDoubleAsPointer to True. Unless contextually implemented via Execute, any such code will not function (let alone compile) in clients older than 12.0.1.
If you have not done so already, any code using Declare Function Calls must be reviewed to work as expected in Notes 64-bit clients. We advise you to start this work as soon as possible to ensure that all your applications are fit for Notes 64-bit for when it is advisable/necessary to make the switch. You may also want to prepare for Notes 64-bit by verifying that any EXTMGR_ADDINS, NSF_HOOKS and AddinMenus used are then available in 64-bit. Last but not least, your Java Code may need some love, too.
Did you know: With HCL Notes 14, the 32-bit client is no longer available? Make sure your applications and 3rd party integrations are ready for the 64-bit client!
What’s New in HCL Notes and Domino 12.0.2 FP2
1. Enhanced Stability and Security: Fix Pack 2 is a collection of low-risk, high-impact fixes. It has been designed to help customers safely avoid known issues. This release addresses a number of defects, ensuring a more stable environment for users. In addition, 12.0.2 FP2 contains important security fixes, which are detailed further down.
2. Cumulative Fixes: HCL emphasizes that Fix Packs are always cumulative. This means that FP2 contains all the fixes from previous packs, making it a comprehensive update for users.
3. Language Independence: Fix Packs are language independent, which means they can be applied to any language version of Notes/Domino 12.0.2.x.
Key Highlights from Previous Releases:
– HCL Notes/Domino 12.0.2 was released on November 17, 2022.
– HCL Notes/Domino 12.0.2FP1 was launched on April 17, 2023.
Important Notes for Users:
- HCL has shifted its strategy starting with Notes/Domino 10.0.1. The company now aims to ship frequent Fix Packs to improve the overall quality of releases. These Fix Packs will be available for all platforms and future release streams.
- Fix Packs will include all updates from previous FPs, any hot fix since the last FP, selected high-quality fixes, and security patches including JVM updates.
- However, Fix Packs will not introduce new features unless they are disabled by default. They also won’t include translation fixes or template changes that might conflict with language kits.
System Requirements and Fixes:
- The Windows JVM has been upgraded to Semeru jdk8u372-b07 with timezone version 2023c.
- Guidelines have been provided for updating applications to run on the 64-bit version of HCL Notes 12.0.2.
- This Fix Pack addresses defects in the Notes Client & Domino Server, including all feature components. It contains fixes for approximately 62 known issues.
Embedded HCL Sametime Fixes:
Several fixes have been made to the embedded Sametime, including:
- Resolving the issue where pressing the ESC key in a group chat notifies the group chat that the user “left the chat”.
- Addressing the issue where a DND user receives a notification sound only in n-way group chats.
- Fixing the default setting of External Meeting Provider when logging into Web and Meeting clients.
- Ensuring the autostatus change works correctly when logged into multiple UIM clients.
Security Fixes included in 12.0.2 FP2
The following security fixes are new in 12.0.2 FP2 compared to FP1. The number of fixes compared to earlier versions is even more significant. If you want to know more about the total number of fixes compared to your particular Notes release, you may want to use the super helpful Domino Security Updates (preemptive.com.au) resource from Preemptive.
DKENCRMJV6 Fixed an issue where Bearer authentication with Azure AD was failing
DNADCSTQEZ Fixed an issue with CertStore where proxy account was causing multiple updates and save conflicts when enabled and updated
NVJICRJ9YG Fixed an issue where an unvaulted user would get an error about Incorrect Credentials when trying to set up MFA or login to a Webmail server. Workaround was to create an ID Vault replica from admin server to mail server.
SRAOCPJNX9 Fixed an issue with Verse where ID was being attempted to be downloaded from ID Vault even if ID Vault Option to “Allow Notes-based programs to use the Notes ID Vault was set to No. Also added a new ini “iNotes_WA_DisableIDLoad” to disabled ID load from mail file. This regression was introduced in 12.0.1.
DNADCRFPQT Fixed an issue where the value of Notes.ini CERTMGR_CHECKURL_LASTCHECKTIME was being incorrectly multiplied by 60 days resulting in the next check not occurring when expected. Workaround was to remove the CERTMGR_CHECKURL_LASTCHECKTIME before restarting certmgr then run server console command Tell certmgr check once after restart.
Domino 12.0.2, 12.0.2 Fix Pack 1, 12.0.1 Fix Pack 2 System Requirements
Notes 12.0.2, 12.0.2 Fix Pack 1, 12.0.2 Fix Pack 2 System Requirements
The Windows JVM was upgraded to Semeru jdk8u372-b07 with time zone version 2023c
Guidelines in updating applications to run on the 64-bit version of HCL Notes 12.0.2 (KB0101520)
The fixes contained in this release can be found in the Notes/Domino Fix List.
Release notes of Fix Pack 2 for Version 12.0.2 can be found here: https://support.hcltechsw.com/csm?id=kb_article&sysparm_article=KB0106491
Remember: As a panagenda MarvelClient Upgrade customer, incorporating Fix Pack 2 into your HCL Notes client landscape becomes a breeze. Should you require any assistance or support in this particular domain, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.